Monday, February 3, 2014

I'm going to the Congo!

Next month, I'm headed to the Democrat of the Republic - Congo on a medical mission assessment for Project C.U.R.E.  Here is some information about the country!



The Congo is in west-central Africa and is bordered by the Republic of Congo, the Central African  Republic, the Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Zambia, Angola and the Atlantic Ocean.  It is one-quarter the size of the US.  

The population (2012 est) is 73,599,190 with a growth rate of 2.58%.  The current life expectancy is 55.74.  The language spoken is French and there are over 200 ethnic groups, the majority are Bantu: the four largest tribes – Mongo, Luba, Kongo, and the Mangbetu Azande – make up about 45% of the population.  The primary religion is Roman Catholic. 

In much of DRC, living conditions are dismal, access to health care is minimal and violence still erupts in unstable areas.  Rape and violence against women may be more common in DRC than anywhere else in the world.  Though rich in resources that allow hope for a bright future as a thriving country, DRC is still in dire need of economic and social reconstruction. 

As of 2012, only 11 percent of routine vaccinations are covered by the government.  HIV/Aids remains the largest health threat to the country due to a high rate of migration among refugees and soldiers, aloe with a lack of education, testing and knowledge.  Tuberculosis is an increasingly serious health concern in the DR Congo.  Many insect-borne illnesses are present as well.  Medical facilities are severely limited, and medical materials are in short supply.  An adequate supply of prescription or over-the-counter drugs in local or pharmacies is also generally not available.  Payment for any medical services is expected in case in the DR Congo, in advance of treatment.  Non communicable diseases account for 21 percent of all deaths in the country.  

It's my hope that I can be some help when I visit, and give a thorough assessment that will end up helping a lot of people!

I look forward to sharing pictures and stories with you from my trip when I return!


For more information about my Summit Murder Mystery series, please visit www.summitmurdermystery.com  

For more information about my philanthropic work, please visit www.charlesirion.com  

Follow me on TWITTER
Friend me on FACEBOOK
Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel

No comments:

Post a Comment